Torah Portion:

Chayei Sarah

Synagogue:

Or Chadash, Orthodox, moderate

Walking time from home:

15 minutes (from my accommodation)

Reason for going:

Sydney favourite

Kiddush:

Sit down kiddush

SYDNEY: Unlike in Melbourne, where I try to go to a different shule every week, when I come to Sydney I usually go to the same shule – Or Chadash, a synagogue that can very positively and lovingly be described as ‘no frills’. It started many years ago in a different guise, and since then there has been a proliferation of different shules across Sydney (including one literally next door). Through it all, Or Chadash has stayed true to its values, which is about having a nice, tuneful and participatory service, a thoughtful or thought-provoking sermon, and a simple but sumptuous kiddush. I have been going there for many years on various visits to Sydney, and these have been the constant traits of this small and loving congregation, along with the fact that the people are always welcoming and friendly. That was no different this time, and I was welcomed with open arms and lovely words of greeting. I also caught up with some people I haven’t seen for a long time.

This week however, there were two minor exceptions to the regular features of this shule. Whereas normally there is a small but hearty kiddush, this week there was a larger, sit down kiddush with a cholent. The reason for this is that instead of giving a sermon during the service, the relatively young and engaging rabbi sponsored the kiddush and gave a class in memory of his late grandfather. This made the service even shorter than normal, but the kiddush longer and heartier.

The portion of this week is called Chayei Sarah – the life of Sarah – but it opens with the death of Sarah and then moves on to the impact and legacy of that event. The rabbi used that as a launching pad to talk about other deaths in the Torah, from Abel and Moses, to Jacob and Solomon, but more importantly, to talk about the continuity of each of those stories and the legacy and impact of those deaths. For instance, that Benjamin named all of his 10 sons after events that happened in his brother Joseph’s life, such was their love. In that way the rabbi linked it to the passing of his own grandfather, who has equally left behind progeny and a history, but also a connection and a future. The presentation was impactful, and made me think of one of my own grandfathers, who on Friday went into hospital yet again. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

But as I was thinking of that, I left Or Chadash and went to Mizrachi Bondi, not too far away, to meet some friends, including my hosts. Whilst they normally come to Or Chadash, on this occasion they went to Mizrachi for the celebration of a combined Bar and Bat Mitzvah. I came just for the kiddush, but caught the last 10 minutes of the service too, which was prolonged because of the celebrations. The kiddush was plentiful, with many different foods, but also many different people from across numerous congregations, and a number of people from interstate and overseas, including members of the musical group ‘The Maccabeats’, who were brought out as the special guests for the celebratory occasion and will perform at the reception.

The large and diverse crowd at Mizrachi was a bit of surprise, since I had come from Or Chadash, which is a boutique congregation, but in both cases it was nice to catch up with people I had not seen for a long time, or others who I won’t otherwise get a chance to see on this trip. I will hopefully be back in Sydney in a month or so and will likely come back to Or Chadash, but in the meantime I look forward to exploring a different shule back in Melbourne next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog